Heavy Rain and Floods: Ensure your business isn’t left high and dry
What would you do if your property or business flooded? Here are some tips for before, during and after the rain stops pouring.
- Don’t get caught in the rain - Sign up to Met Office alerts for up-to-date weather warnings – you can check the severity of weather before it reaches your business or home.
- Be ready with more than just an umbrella - Create a flood plan so your employees know what to do and who to contact in an emergency.
- Stay afloat with solid preparation - Check your areas flood risk map at www.environment-agency.gov.uk and evaluate your risk.
- Physical flood prevention - Use the following to reduce flood damage: Flood boards, seal floors and doors, fit non-return valves to drains and pipes, install high shelving, raise electrical sockets.
- Getting back to normal - Notify your insurer who will send a loss adjuster; you should take photographic evidence of any damage including structural, but only if it is safe!
- The big clear up - Just because the water has gone this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful. Take care and follow every safety precaution.
- Learn and future proof - If it’s happened once it could happen again, learn from mistakes, fortify and look to reduce future risk.
Flooding of a business or home is always painful to watch, be ready and ensure you have adequate insurance cover should the worst happen.
Click here to read more on the shop insurance package arranged by Jelf Small Business, or to check out what other covers they can help you with.